Puppies and kittens are some of the cutest things ever, but only if they have homes. Nearly 3.7 million animals were euthanized in shelters in 2008. That is an alarming number, which could be reduced significantly if pet owners had their pets spayed and neutered. Our team at Crosspointe Animal Hospital believes in helping to control the animal overpopulation problem and encourages pet parents to get their puppies and kittens spayed and neutered as soon as they are old enough for the procedure. If you live in Fairfax Station, Lorton, Clifton, or the surrounding areas, contact our veterinarians today to schedule your cat or dog’s procedure.
Why You Should Spay or Neuter Your Pet
There are many benefits to spaying or neutering your pet:
- Spaying and neutering pets help them avoid certain types of cancer and infections. Female pets have a reduced occurrence of mammary cancer, which has a high fatality rate. Male pets have a reduced risk of testicular cancer.
- It lowers pet overpopulation.
- Spaying females prevents heat cycles which often include crying, yowling, and other bad behaviors.
- Neutering male dogs prevents them from roaming to find a mate, marking the home, and fighting with other male dogs.
- Fixed pets tend to have a longer life than those that have not been spayed or neutered.
The Right Time to Spay or Neuter Your Pet
The best time is to ask the veterinarian during your pets’ first wellness visit. There are some things to consider when it comes to spaying or neutering:
- Female dogs and cats should be spayed before they are five months old.
- Small breed male dogs should also be neutered before they are five months old.
- Large breed male dogs should be neutered between 12 to 15 months old because of orthopedic concerns.
- Shelter animals are typically spayed and neutered before adoption, often as young as six weeks.
Schedule Your Pets’ Spay or Neuter Appointment Today
Our team at Crosspointe Animal Hospital is looking forward to caring for your pet. If you would like to know more about spaying or neutering your cat or dog, call us today at (703) 690-6600 to schedule a consultation with one of our veterinarians. You can also reach us through our website by using our online contact form. We serve pets from Fairfax Station, Lorton, Clifton, and the surrounding areas.